General Music Audition (required of all music applicants)
- Recommendation by the middle or high school music teacher or private music instructor.
- Audition (instrumental or vocal) held by the members of the NWSA music faculty.
- Sight Reading.
Note: If a student’s performance audition is acceptable, successful completion of a music fundamentals course at New World during the summer months is required in order to qualify for Fall entrance.
SPED and LEP students are encouraged to apply.
The 90-minute presentation familiarizes applicants & parents on the music audition. Attendance is not required of applicants.
Workshops will be held on:
Wednesday, Demember 10, 7:00 - 8:30 PM
Saturday, December 13, 10:00 - 11:30 AM
NWSA Music Building, 401 NE 2nd Avenue, 2nd and 3rd floor Studios
Instrumental Music Audition
In addition to chromatic scales specified, students may be asked to play 12 two octave scales in the range of the instrument.
Download full Instrumental Music Audition Repertoire.
New World School of the Arts Music Division regrets that budget restraints prevent our considering classical piano applicants for the 2010 - 2011 enrollment year. No classical piano applicants will be auditioned or accepted for 2010 - 2011. Only jazz piano applicants will be scheduled for classical piano auditions this year. Applicants will be asked to play all or part of the following:
- Scales, 4 octaves hands together:
All 12 keys both major and harmonic minor at tempo of 1/4 note equals MM72
All major and minor keys, 4 octaves.
- Sight Reading:
Clementi sonatina or equivalent
- Two Memorized Solos:
One from the Baroque or Classical era, one from the Romantic or Modern era.
*Please note: These pieces must be performed from memory. Choose contrasting pieces that demonstrate technical ability, bravura, and lyrical and expressive playing. It is recommended that students audition with pieces of an appropriate level of difficulty.
View some examples of some pieces as a general guideline.
Vocal Music Audition
- Perform one (1) solo piece from the Classical or Musical Theater repertory. This piece must be memorized. An accompanist will be provided for the auditions or, if you wish, you may bring your own. In either event you must be sure to bring at least one copy of your music to the audition. Anyone appearing without music will not be auditioned. You may not use a taped accompaniment or sing a cappella. [Rock, Gospel or Pop songs are not suitable for this audition.] See the Vocal Music Audition Repertoire for suggestions on appropriate literature.
- Perform vocal exercises, given by the Director of Choral Activities, for the purpose of determining range, color, intonation, and pitch memory.
- Sing a simple melody at sight.
Download Vocal Music Audition Repertoire