This year’s New World School of the Arts’ College Student Choreography performance will present new works by creative young choreographers who have taken inspiration from a n umber of sources to bring about this moving evening of contemporary dance. These works are curated by the NWSA Dance Faculty, and selected as the best new works created during the semester. Witty, thought-provoking, and virtuosic, the program presents the choreographers of the future at New World School of the Arts’ Dance Theater.
Legendary Jazz trumpeter Brian Lynch will perform alongside the NWSAHigh School Jazz Combos, in a dynamic evening concert of jazz. With a total of 25 students, the NWSA HS Jazz Ensemble under the direction of Jim Gasior will perform a mix of jazz standards from the repertoire of Charlie Parker, Ray Brown and Thelonious Monk, among others.
“We are thrilled that the NWSA Jazz Combos will be performing at the Lyric Theater, the historic hall in Miami well-known to jazz legends, with none other than Grammy Award winning trumpeter Brian Lynch,” said Dr. Daniel Andai, Dean of the NWSA music division. Under the direction of Jim Gasior, director of NWSA’s Jazz Ensemble and Jazz Combos, numerous jazz students have been recognized on a national scale. Among their most recent honors, the Jazz Ensemble has participated in the Thelonious Monk Institute national Peer-To-Peer Jazz Education Program multiple times, joining other students from across the nation.
The NWSA High School Jazz Combos concert will take place on December 11 at 7:00 PM. Historic Lyric Theater, 819 NW 2nd Ave, Miami, FL 33136. Admission to the concert is free and it is open to the public.
The Miami Wind Symphony presents “A Soldier’s Story,” a patriotic extravaganza to commemorate Veterans Day. Leading off the concert, Rodester Brandon conducts Miami Wind Symphony in A Vietnam War Suite, a new work with multimedia by adjunct music faculty member at New World School of the Arts – composer Dr. Ferdinando DeSena.
The Veterans Day Concert at 4:00 pm on Sunday November 9, 2014; Wertheim Concert Hall, Florida InternationalUniversity, SW 8th Street campus. Tickets are $20 general admission and $15student, and are available at www.miamiwindsymphony.com, or at the door.
Guitarist Jose Adan, a Vietnam veteran and featured soloist, envisioned a work that would represent his experience of war. He asked Dr. DeSena – a Vietnam War resistor, to write it. A Vietnam War Suite attempts an emotional expression of a soldiers experience and the conflicting passions of opposition to the war, with 21st Century perspective on the event that shaped a generation. Guitarist Federico Bonacossa is also featured.
Rodester Brandon, chair of the Miami Dade College Kendall Campus Music Department explains, “The realizationand presentation of an important new work of this scope by Adan, DeSena, Bonacossa, all Miami Dade College faculty, New World School of the Arts music faculty, and Miami Wind Symphony and Miami Dade College’s own Civic Choral of Greater Miami, is a milestone for the College’s music programs. It demonstrates the depth of our artistry, our vitality and our considerable contribution to the musical life in Miami.”
New World School of the Arts [NWSA] is once again among the exhibiting institutions of Miami's internationally attended art fair week. Developed by Miami-based Wet Heat Project, A Piece of Me is the second edition of an exhibition that pairs visual arts students from the NWSA high school honors class with an acclaimed alumnus from their school, who this year will be Hernan Bas. The NWSA students will produce site-specific installations in response to a significant artwork created by Bas. A Piece of Me is a Wet Heat Project (Bill Bilowit, Director) in association with New World School of the Arts, Visual Arts Program (Maggy Cuesta, Dean; Donald Lambert, Faculty Advisor). A Piece of Me is the first project selected for a new program initiative at CONTEXT Art Fair, dedicated to a new generation of artists producing work that challenges their developing practice and reaches beyond their emerging viewership.
Featuring New World School of the Arts High School and College dancers, the Fall Dance Celebration offers a dynamic and varied evening of choreography that highlights ballet, modern and hip-hop styles.
Fall Dance Celebration is November 14 and 15 at 7:30 PM. New World Dance Theater. 25 NE 2nd Street,downtown Miami. General admission is $10 and tickets are available at http://nwsa.mdc.edu.
MIAMI--- Nine graphic design college students from New world School of the Arts present Alternate Realities – an exhibition that puts into question what is and is not real offering alternative options. “Alternate Realities attempts to question reality as we know it while highlighting the influential power designers have in regards to creating the illusion of authenticity,” said Rosario Martinez-Cañas, director of the show and NWSA faculty member. “The designers involved in this show each present vastly different premises that parallel our own reality to a convincing degree.”
Opening Reception is on Thursday, October 23, 2014, from 5:30 PM – 7:30 PM. New World Gallery. 25 NE 2nd Street, downtown Miami. Reception is free andopen to the public. Show will be on view from October 23 thru November 17; Monday - Friday; 9:00 AM- 5:00 PM.
- The NWSA music calendar of events offers varied concerts throughout Miami
- NWSA Repertory Dance Ensemble launches the Dance season with a vibrant, wide-ranging program. Aventura Arts & Cultural Center
- "Rock 'n' Roll" jumpstarts the NWSA college theater season with a special recognition to Philanthropists Ralf Lutrin and Alfred Allan Lewis
- Professor Maria Martinez-Cañas receives prestigious Civitella Ranieri Fellowship
- Dr. Daniel Andai, is selected as NWSA dean of music
- Visual Arts BFAs ('14) Discover the Marvels of Paris, France
- NWSA music students selected for the prestigious National Youth Orchestra of the United States
- Silver Knight Award winner brings hope to parents at Miami Children's Hospital through her drawings
- Theater season closes with the comedy-drama series of short plays "All in the Timing” by David Ives
- Spirited High School Spring dance concert choreography evokes thought
- NWSA College Class of 2014 marched toward a brilliant future
- Adobe's “Make it with Creative Cloud” features Sue Montoya in May
- Et Al. Exhibition showcases cutting-edge artworks by the 2014 BFAs
- New Playwrights Festival showcases captivating, thought-provoking themes
- Adobe's “Make it with Creative Cloud” features Angelica Baini in April
- College Spring Dance Concert presents thought-provoking choreography
- College Opera Theater Ensemble presents Don Pasquale
- "A Flea In Her Ear" wraps up the College Theater Season
- “Rising Stars” - New World School of the Arts’ spectacular visual arts and performance showcase
- "Into the Woods" graces the Colony Theater
- Make Art Work’s 5th season welcomed Eduardo Vilaro, Artistic Director of Ballet Hispanico
- NWSA Symphony Orchestra, Opera Chorus and Concert Choir presents "From Russia with Love" featuring Italian sensation, Viviana Lasaracina
- Diversuality: BFA Dance Concert
- Three “Presidential Scholar in the Arts” nominations and a record of nine YoungArts finalists highlights New world school of the arts
- The Posse Foundation selects New World School of the Arts Visual Artist, and confers scholarship to top-tier university
- New World School of the Arts to launch Summer Theater Academy thanks to a 2013 Knight Arts Challenge Grant
- Premieres of new works by NWSA college dance students explore and touch the human spirit
- REVERENCE, site-specific performative installations of respect, admiration and appreciation joins the Art Basel tour at CasaLin
- NWSA lends tribute to legendary Cuban pianist and composer Ernesto Lecuona, with two-day concert featuring masterpieces from his world-acclaimed repertoire
- Popular One-Person Shows explore the good, the naughty and the whacky.
- World Dance Celebration, a collaboration between NWSA and UF dancers, celebrates diversity.
- Award-winning musical Once on this Island welcomes the holiday season with symbolism, color and Caribbean folklore
- NWSA Music Faculty Concert series continues with rousing jazz trio, plus Zivkovic, Bowers and Ford
- "Symplectic Structures" Exhibition Highlights the Work of New World School of the Arts College Junior, Rafael Domenech
- New World School of the Arts Repertory Dance Ensemble Offers a Vibrant, Wide-Ranging Program at the Aventura Arts & Cultural Center
- "An Enemy of the People" launches the NWSA College Theater Season
- Faculty Art Exhibition Highlights Professional Talent at New World School of the Arts September 20 – September 30
- End of year cutting-edge exhibit showcases work of high school visual arts seniors
- New World Dance Ensemble to present the choreography of Darshan S. Bhuller in Miami and in New York City
- "Properly Named" BFA Exhibition at CIFO opens May 24
- Kaufman’s poignant The Laramie Project closes the theater season
- NWSA College Theater BFAs travel to New York City to present remarkable showcase
- High School Spring Dance Concert
- “TIMESCAPES” CAPTURES THE VIBRANCY OF SOUTH BEACH THROUGH PAINT, MOSAICS AND MIRRORS
- NWSA Dancers to perform the work of Merce Cunningham at the 92Y in NYC
- Legendary jazz drummer, Duffy Jackson, joins NWSA Jazz Ensemble in concert
- College Spring Dance Concert presents dance masters’ choreography
- Jackie Albano, NWSA college visual artist, wins worldwide illustrating contest
- Entrances And Exits: Resonating Impressions student-curated exhibition explores artifacts from the private collection of Mitchell Wolfson Jr.
- College Theater Season wraps up the season with the once forgotten Restoration comedy "The Beaux Stratagem"
- Cimarosa’s The Secret Marriage (Il Matrimonio Segreto), with guest artist stefanos koroneos, to be presented by the new world school of the arts Opera theater ensemble
- NWSA Jazz Ensemble to compete in prestigious 18th annual Essentially Ellington (EE) High School Jazz Band Competition & Festival
- “Rising Stars Showcase” New World School of the Arts’ Spectacular Visual Arts and Performance Showcase Friday, March 15 New World Gallery and Gusman Theater
- NWSA Symphony Orchestra and world-renowned pianist Wolfram Schmitt-Leonardy join musical forces to showcase the stirring music of Dvorak and Grieg
- Official Rules for FELA!brate Sweepstakes
- New World School of the Arts receives $500,000
- NWSA brings The Kit Kat Klub to Miami with the Popular Musical CABARET
- Make Art Work presents Conversations with Bolcom and Morris
- Make Art Work (Alana Arenas)
- Walls of Artseen exhibition offers a unique artistic experience by New World School of the Arts co
- NWSA's "Talented Exhibition" offers affordable original artwork to the South Florida community
- Collaboration between NWSA, Wet Heat Project and NADA brings video art to the Deauville Beach Resort
- The New World School of the Arts dance division offers the South Florida community an exhilarating 3
- The NWSA Repertory Dance Ensemble offers a vibrant, wide-ranging program at the Aventura Arts and Cu
- NWSA and MDC welcome Miami City Ballets New Artistic Director, Lourdes Lopez, with a warm reception
- Award winning Balm in Gilead opens the theater season
- NWSA joins hundreds of cultural institutions world wide in peace initiative
- Evonne S. Alvarez to lead the high school as she becomes the new Principal of New World School of th
- Milton Rubén Laufer, DMA is new Dean of Music at New World School of the Arts
- Major group exhibit presents cutting-edge work of HS seniors
- A dozen Silver Knight nominations for NWSA establishes a record at the arts conservatory
- Three Posse Foundation Scholars this year for NWSA - Kandyse Samuel, Alexis Holliday and Emily River
- Gates Millennium Scholarship is awarded to dance student Javier Aranzales
- Kelley Kessell and Jessica Suhr named 2012 US Presidential Scholar in the Arts
- High School Spring Dance Concert showcases Balanchine masterwork
- OUR TOWN marks the end of the Silver Anniversary theater season at New World School of the Arts
- "Our Moment of Truth the Five Archetypes" highlights success of multi-disciplinary initiative
- Venus Williams shares passion for the arts with New World School of the Arts
- Miami-Dade County Mayor, Carlos A. Gimenez names Friday, March 23, 2012 "New World School of the Art
- BFA exhibition showcases innovative artwork and engages the audience through compelling interaction
- College Spring Dance Concert presents powerful iconic choreography
- Tennis icon Venus Williams names NWSA recipient of her new arts initiative: Eleven by venus williams
- Spectacular "Rising Stars Showcase" celebrates NWSA Silver Anniversary
- New World School of the Arts college dancers will dance at the Joyce Theater in New York City, in ce
- DO TOUCH a tactile exhibition offers an interactive artistic platform for visually challenged studen
- New World School of the Arts is honored to participate in the National Endowment for the Arts' "Nati
- BFA Dance Concert explores the meaning of sisterhood
- "Three Sisters" by Anton Chekhov, graces the stage of NWSA in celebration of the school's silver ann
- Beethoven's 5th Symphony comes to life with the NWSA Symphony Orchestra.
- Symphony Orchestra joins violin virtuoso and rock icon Alexander Markov for debut of world-acclaimed
- New World School of the Arts 25th birthday celebration honors alumni with three-day fete
- NEW WORLD SCHOOL OF THE ARTS HIGH SCHOOL AMONG THE BEST IN THE NATION WITH A "GOLD MEDAL" FROM U.S.
- Alltogethernow exhibition
- NWSA High School Choir offers retrospective holiday music selection during its popular annual Holida
- Stirring One-Person Shows highlight theatrical genius of Theater BFA Candidates
- The hilarious musical "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" celebrates NWSA's 25th anniversary
- World Dance Celebration celebrates diversity
- "80 inches of art" - Impressive alumni art auction at the Sagamore Hotel yields top funds for the vi
- New World School of the Arts establishes the Legacy Society with sparkling reception in Coral Gables
- Cutting-edge collaborative exhibitions with Wet Heat and Casalin celebrate NWSA's 25th birthday